Monday, February 16, 2009

Disney’s Dreamers Academy

Disney’s Dreamers Academy Graduating Class
When you were in High School and you were asked the famous question “what are your plans after graduation?” what was your answer? Coming from a smaller town, as in Valley City, I wanted to do something bigger, newer and more exciting than I thought this town could offer me! (Look where I am now) As young adults you have a lot of ambitions and dreams but you just need that little extra push of motivation.
100 lucky students from all across the country got that extra bit of motivation. They received the opportunity to participate in the innovative career program called Disney’s Dreamers Academy at Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, FL. They had three days of interactive workshops, motivational talks and hands-on creative experiences. After completing these 3 days of activities they got to participate in the commencement exercise at Epcot.
The students got to experience some careers first hand. Some of the things they got to do were in the areas of culinary arts, animation, set design and production, and all the way to the business of sports. They had well known speakers in all of those areas come and give a speech/demonstration on what they do every day in that particular career field.
These 100 lucky students were chosen out of more than 4,000 applicants. They were nominated by teachers, parents, church leaders, and even their student peers. Each student of the Disney’s Dreamer Academy showed the dream, perseverance, and enthusiasm to do great things in their future.
This experience for the students was also made possible by Kodak. They sponsored the career workshop “Each One, Teach One!” and gave each student a Kodak EasyShare digital camera.
This pertains to Ch. 5 in almost all of the areas. The Disney’s Dreamer Academy needed to make goals, develop strategies, and define, prioritize and analyze who they wanted to reach and who their demographics were going to be. Also what the goals that each student needed to meet in order to be a participant were going to be. They needed to figure out how to reach the teachers, parents, and church leaders in order for them to even know this opportunity was available to the students. The academy also needed a budget, schedule and assign responsibilities to their workers in order for the events to run smoothly. Also they needed to find some sponsors, one that believed in what they were doing and more importantly believed in the young adults attending the Disney’s Dreamer Academy.
I did my college internship through Walt Disney World in Lake Buena Vista, FL from May 2006 to January 2007 and had the time of my life. I did not participate in the Disney’s Dreamer Academy but I did the College Program they offered. You are placed in a resort or park right on property and given a particular job. You get to see how such a huge and successful corporation is run. All the behind the scenes work that goes on and the amount of people in a variety of different career fields it takes for even one show to go on. I think Disney offers great programs for the development of the future of kids. I personally would recommend to anybody to take any opportunities that WDW has to offer and DO THEM. It’s a great life experience.

9 comments:

  1. I have been to Walt Disney World twice in my life. And i have to agree with you that it would be awesome to work with them. If i would have known that this opportunity was available after i graduated, i probably would have applied or at least looked into it. Just to actually see how much work and how many people and hours goes into making Walt Disney World the huge success it is and will be into the future i am sure. I did not know that Disney offered so many great programs for the development of the future of kids. I hope that when my kids get older this opportunity is still around incase they might want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog to me was very effective because it also served as an educative and informative blog on the positive opportunities; Walt Disney creates to help in the development of young kids.
    I would have liked to participate in the college program and taken an internship in Walt Disney if I knew about this great opportunity.

    I have been to Walt Disney in Orlando, Florida I had a great experience and I always wondered how things functioned so smoothly. I would have liked to experience Walt Disney from the other side of the fence by actually working there; learning and observing what it feels like to be part of the team ensuring things go according to plan and run smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much behind the scenes of Disney it is incredible! It is great that you got to experience some of the behind the scene activities first hand. I would have loved to go and do something like this, but I guess a person can only dream. I guess anything is possible according to Disney and who knows maybe someday I will do something like this. How did you hear about this or get more information on it? I have been to Walt Disney World before and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to visit Disney world and see how beautiful it really is. You are so lucky you were on an internship and experience maybe one day I will be in a cool internship just like you. One other thing that I wanted know is how they made the animated cartoons and how they out everything together. Going to Walt Disney would be a dream of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been to Disney World before. Your internship sounds like it was a great opportunity and a lot of fun. Disney Dreamer Academy also sounds like a great opportunity for some lucky high school graduates. It also helps associate Disney to education which helps their stock go up a little bit. I wish I could have done something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are many organizations out there just like Walt Disney World. They are their to help students get there feet wet right out of school. This not only gives the students opportunities to work for a big company, it also gives the big companies many opportunities to hire great workers. I know of one person who is from my hometown that did an internship with WDW and she is still there. She was hired full time after her internship was done. She now might work there the rest of her life. What a great life changing internship she did. I believe that these are very good opportunities for people that are not quite sure what they want to do after school. They are also good programs for people that just want to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walt Disney company is doing a great thing by getting kids involved with all the opportunites their vast corportation has to offer. This is a great PR event for the Walt Disney co. to do along with all the other promotional activities, charities, and others alike that they support. Planning is a key ingredient in any aspect of public relations and this shows that. In fact I don't think I've ever heard any bad pr news about their corportation. This is probably because they have good people like you working for them along with good pr people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed this blog. Its nice to see that larger companies such as Disney are allowing students to experience working in large careers. This is a good event for PR because it shows how Disney works to help in the community. They also must go out and find those who qulify for the internship. I like how you added that is fit into chapter five. I agree that they need to set goals and find those for the internship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know a girl who worked at WDW as a lifeguard. They payed for her schooling and housing while in Florida. This program gives students the ability to study while not having to pay the hefty out of state tuition. These types of programs are great and is a good example of a large corporation, such as Disney, to give back to the public.

    ReplyDelete